Willington 2-0 South Shields

Willington 2-0 South Shields


South Shields fell to their second consecutive 2-0 defeat at Willington on Saturday.

South Shields started the game playing down the Willington slope and dominated the early exchanges but were unable to break down the Willington defence.

With the game in the 12 th minute Chris Feasey outpaced the defence on the left flank before playing the ball into the path of Tony Burnell but his shot from the angle of the box was well saved by Moffat in the Willington goal.

Shields maintained the pressure on the home defence and on 15 mins Jordan Fraser played the ball into the box were it was met by Adam Sharp but his header was saved by Moffat..

On 20 minutes Willington broke forward through Dan Lee on the right flank, he found Hardy in space inside the Shields box but he fired wide from close range.

From the restart Shields pressed forward through Chris Feasey, he found Tony Burnell in space but the striker spurned a guilt edged chance to open the scoring as he fired over the bar from close range.

On the half hour Shields were forced into their first change of the game as John Toomey replaced the injured Jordan Fraser.

As the game entered the 32nd minute Sakr fired the ball into the Shields box and only a goal line clearance by Barrie Smith kept the scores level.

Within a minute Willington again pressurised the Shields defence as Hardy collected a long ball out of defence but with only Wells to beat the Willington striker was denied by a superb reflex save.

In the closing minutes of the first half Chris Feasey had 2 efforts on goal blocked and the players left the field still level at 0-0.

Shields started the second half on the front foot and Chris Feasey found Adam Sharp in space but his shot flew over the bar.

With the second half approaching the 5 minute mark Adam Sakr broke forward but his shot was well saved by Shields keeper Jak Wells.

Willington began to dominate the game but despite a series of corners they were unable to break down the Shields defence.

On 53 mins Shields keeper Jak Wells again made a superb point blank save to deny Whitworth; a minute later and again Wells was on hand to deny Willington as he made a superb save to deny Hardy.

With 56 mins on the clock the Willington pressure bore fruit as Sakr took advantage of an error by the Shields defence to fire in from close range.

Within 10 mins Willington doubled their advantage as again the Shields defence were undone by a long ball out of defence and Hardy collected the ball unopposed to fire in from 10 yards.

The goal had a demoralising effect on the Shields side and only a superb diving save by Jak Wells prevented Sakr from further extending the Willington lead.

In the closing stages of the game Chris Feasey and Andrew Thompson both had scoring opportunities but were denied by Willington keeper Moffat.