A fifth new name was added to the squad for 2022-23 on Tuesday when Dylan Mottley-Henry put pen to paper at 1st Cloud Arena.
We take a closer look at the career of the 24-year-old, who has arrived from Bradford Park Avenue.
- Yorkshire lad Dylan Mottley-Henry was born on August 2nd, 1997 in Leeds
- His football journey began in the Academy of Bradford City
- Mottley-Henry has mainly been deployed on the right wing during his career, but can also play on the left or through the middle of the attack
- Renowned for his pace, he made his first-team debut for Bradford as a 17-year-old against Preston North End in 2015
- After two senior appearances and furthering his experience with loan spells at Altrincham and Bradford Park Avenue, Mottley-Henry was snapped up by Barnsley in the summer of 2016 after a successful trial
- He had four loan stints during his time with Barnsley, twice spending time with Tranmere Rovers and also representing Chesterfield and Harrogate Town
- It was at Tranmere he built the bulk of his first-team experience, playing 16 times in all competitions in 2017-18 as the club won promotion from the National League, and 17 times the following season, with Rovers claiming a second successive promotion
- Mottley-Henry made one senior appearance for Barnsley before his departure in January 2020, when he re-joined Bradford
- His second spell in claret and amber saw more first-team opportunities, with the winger making 26 appearances in a year with the League Two side
- Larne in Northern Ireland was Mottley-Henry’s next destination in February 2021 and he spent the remainder of that season with the top-flight club
- Mottley-Henry returned to Bradford Park Avenue, this time on a permanent basis, in September 2021
- An initial short-term deal was extended after he caught the eye with goals and assists
- He appeared 28 times and scored three goals for Park Avenue last season in National League North, and contributed a significant number of assists
- Mottley-Henry has now joined South Shields as he returns to full-time training and sets his sights on further progress
Dylan Mottley-Henry is our fifth signing of the summer after the speedy attacker made the switch from Bradford Park Avenue.
Mottley-Henry was a regular for the Yorkshire-based club in National League North last season, catching the eye on the right flank and contributing a high number of assists.
The Leeds-born player is a graduate of Bradford City’s Academy and although he made just two senior appearances for the Bantams before leaving, he returned in January 2020 and played 26 times for the League Two side.
Between his two stints with Bradford, Mottley-Henry was at Barnsley, from which he spent loan spells at Tranmere Rovers, Chesterfield and Harrogate Town.
The 24-year-old moved to Northern Ireland to play for top-flight outfit Larne in 2021 before his return to England to join Bradford Park Avenue, who he had previously represented on loan as a teenager.
Shields will now be the fifth permanent club of Mottley-Henry’s career, and he is excited about the challenge ahead at 1st Cloud Arena.
He said: “It feels good to be here and I’m happy everything is over the line and sorted.
“After speaking to the manager and being shown around the training ground and stadium, it was clear that there’s nothing but positivity here, so joining was a no-brainer.
“The fanbase was definitely a big pulling factor as well because I love playing in front of a big crowd every single week and that really gets me going.
“I’m also really looking forward to working with the manager, who has already asked me which aspect of my game I’d mainly like to work on, which is finishing and scoring more goals. There could be no better manager to work on those things with.
“Our aim this season is promotion and on a personal level, I want to develop as a player and a person, and make the most of the fantastic opportunity I’ve received here.
“I can’t wait to get going.”
Mottley-Henry has spent most of his career on the right flank but is also capable of playing on the left or up-front.
South Shields manager Kevin Phillips said: “Dylan is another fantastic signing for the club and we are very excited he has agreed to join us.
“He had various options on the table but has chosen us, which is another brilliant coup for the club and adds to the great set of signings we have already made.
“He brings athleticism, pace and directness, and is still a young player learning the game so has lots of scope to get even better.
“I’m sure he’s going to excite the fans and as staff, we are also very excited to get to work with him.
“Dylan creates extra competition for places in the squad and I firmly believe he is a tremendous signing for us.”
You can purchase a season ticket to watch Dylan and his new team-mates in every home league game of the 2022-23 campaign by clicking here.