South Shields 2-1 Whitehaven

South Shields 2-1 Whitehaven

South_Shields_FCvs white

South Shields started the quicker of the two sides and inside 2 mins a Stephen Ramsey shot was deflected for a corner; Kyle Houshby fired the ball to Wayne Clarke on the angle of the box but his shot flew just over the bar.

Within a minute a second corner again taken by Houshby was fired wide by David Bulman.

Kyle Houshby was proving to a thorn in the side of the Whitehaven defence and on 7 mins a ball over the defence found Stephen Ramsey in space but his shot was blocked by the Whitehaven defence.

A minute later and Houshby went close to opening the scoring, South Shields were awarded a free kick 25 yards from goal and he curled the ball round the defence and was flying towards the top corner but a finger tip save by Pettitt in the Whitehaven goal.

As the game entered the 10th minute Holliday played the ball into the path of Tyman but with only Wells in the Shields goal to beat he fired wide of the post.

Despite dominating the play Shields were unable to break through the Whitehaven defence and on 20 mins were hit by a sucker punch; a long ball over the Shields defence was rolling towards touch and was being shepherded out of play but Woolf raced between the Shields defenders and crossed the ball into the Shields box and Donald fired in from close range to give the visitors an unexpected advantage.

From the restart Shields again pressed forward through Luke Richardson but his shot from the left angle of the box soared high over the bar.

On 25 mins Stephen Ramsey won the ball in the centre of the park and played the ball into the path of Ivan Stoyanov but his shot failed to trouble the Whitehaven keeper.

Shields maintained the pressure on the visitor’s defence an on 35 mins Stephen Ramsey and David Bulman combined to prise open the Whitehaven defence but Ramsey saw his shot well saved by Pettitt.

Within a minute Ramsey again went close; Kyle Houshby floated the ball into the box and Ramsey rose above the defence but his header was tipped over the bar by Pettitt.

In the closing minutes of the first half a long throw by Ben Riding found David Bulman in space but again Pettitt was on hand to deny the Shields striker and the sides went into the break with the visitors a goal to the good.

Shields manager made 2 changes at half time as Tony Burnell and Jordan Fraser replaced Ivan Stoyanov and Cameron Foster.

Shields continued to dominate at the start of the second half and on 49 mins a David Bulman free kick from the left eventually fell to Ben Riding at the back post and he marked his second Shields debut with his first goal as his diving header flew into the back of the net to restore parity.

From the restart Shields won the ball and again pushed forward culminating in a  Chris Locke cross that found David Bulman in space on the edge of the box and he fired a volley into the roof of the net to give the Shields the lead.

The goal stung the visitors into action, Tyman and Donald combined to release Donald but his shot was well saved by Wells in the Shields goal.

Whitehaven continued to put the Shields defence under pressure and won a series of corners but they were unable to create a clear opportunity as the Shields defence held firm.

Having weathered a period of pressure by the visitors Shields went on the offensive as Houshby  and Bulman tormented the Whitehaven defence but despite their possession and dominance Shields were restricted to long range efforts that failed to trouble Pettitt in the Whitehaven goal.


In added time at the end of the game Shields wasted a golden opportunity to increase their advantage as David Bulman released Tony Burnell but his shot was well saved by Pettitt.