South Shields 4-4 Billingham Town

South_Shields_FC vs billingham

South Shields were thwarted in their effort to progress in the Carlsberg FA Vase by an injury time equaliser on Saturday and must now try again at Billingham on Tuesday night.

Shields started the game the quicker of the two sides and their early pressure bore fruit inside 5 mins. Shields were awarded a free kick wide on the right that was floated into the box by Chris Feasey where it was met by Jordan Fraser and his effort beat the keeper to put the Mariners a goal to the good.

As the ¼ hour mark approached Billingham spurned 2 glorious opportunities of restoring parity,, Charlton played a long ball to Bivens and with only the keeper to beat he fired his shot wide of the post; a minute later and McLeod beat the off side trap but was denied by a superb reflex save by Jak Wells.

From the restart Shields again pressed forward, Chris Feasey collected the ball on the edge of the box, he turned past his marker but his shot was blocked by the Billingham defence, the ball fell for Barrie Smith but his shot flew wide of the post.

Shields began to dominate proceedings and on 26 mins they went 2 goals up, Feasey fired the ball into the box but Moore was on hand to head the ball behind for a corner; the resulting corner was sent into the box by Feasey but Bivens only headed the ball into the path of Tony Coe and he fired the ball back into the box where Colin White was on hand to shoot in from close range.

The 2 goal was only to last a matter of minutes, from a corner on the right by Cochran Ormerod found space to head in from close range.

The goal spurred Billingham forward and in the closing stages of the first half Cochran again spurned a guilt edged opportunity as he fired wide from close range and the sides wet into the break with Shields still a goal to the good.

Billingham started the second half on the front foot and twice in quick succession Colin White was on hand to head the ball clear.

The Billingham pressure brought dividends with 5 mins on the clock; again Shields were undone by a corner as McLeod found space at the back post to head in from close range.

The goal prompted the first change as Tony Burnell replaced Jordan Fraser, Burnell was in the action from the start and only a brave diving save prevented Burnell fro restoring the Shields advantage.

On the hour Shields went close as Colin White headed the ball into the path of David Bulman but he fired over the bar from close range.

A minute later Colin White launched one of his trade mark long throws into the box for Tony Burnell but a superb diving save denied the Shields striker.

Shields were again on the front foot, a long ball out of defence found Tony Burnell in space he raced past the defence before firing a shot at goal that was again well saved by Willey.

Burnell’s persistence was finally rewarded on 80 mins, Barrie Smith sent the ball over the Billingham defence an Burnell raced past his marker to collect the ball and race towards goal before slipping the ball under the advancing keeper.

However once again the advantage was short lived as in a similar move in the Shields half Charlton restored parity.

From the restart Shields pressed forward and a cross by Chris Feasey found Luke Richardson at the back post and he made no mistake from close range; with only 5 mins remaining Shields once again held the lead.

With the game deep into added time Billingham took the game into extra time as Charlton capitalised on a defensive error to level the scores at 4-4.


Extra time saw both sides waste goal scoring opportunities and the sides try again on Tuesday night at Billingham.