South Shields 3-0 York City

South Shields 3-0 York City

South Shields continued their preparations for the new season with an impressive 3-0 victory over National League North side York City.

Captain Robert Briggs handed the Mariners a first half lead at 1st Cloud Arena, converting from the penalty spot after midfielder Callum Ross was fouled.

Nathan Lowe’s free-kick and an emphatic finish by Jason Gilchrist in the second 45 confirmed the victory for the Mariners.

Shields were back in action following Saturday’s postponed fixture against Blyth Spartans, and were immediately onto the front foot.

Lowe picked up a loose ball 25 yards from goal, but his dipping half-volley passed just over the crossbar.

After a bright start, however, the visitors began to settle into their rhythm, and started to create chances of their own.

They came agonisingly close to opening the scoring in the 15h minute. Former Gateshead midfielder Paddy McLaughlin unleashed a venomous drive from the left hand side, which crashed off the post.

Minutes later, Jack Redshaw received the ball with his back to goal but his low effort was tame and Ross Coombe gathered comfortably.

Redshaw did have the ball in the back of the net in the 24th minute, after he had fired a low drive across goal into the far corner, but the linesman had his flag raised for offside.

Then, in the 36th minute, a long ball over the top was allowed to bounce, which was seized upon by Ross who was then brought down just inside the area.

The ever-reliable from 12 yards Briggs stepped up and rolled the penalty into the bottom left corner of the goal.

The home side burst out of the traps in the second half. Alex Kempster, playing against his former team, did brilliantly down the left hand side as he forced his way to the by-line, before cutting the ball back to Lowe.

The midfielder was chopped down on the edge of the area, but dusted himself down to dispatch a low-driven free-kick from the edge of the area into the bottom left hand corner.

Lowe was involved just minutes later as he slipped in Gilchrist on the right hand side of the box. He cut back inside the defender and fired a powerful shot into the right corner.

The Mariners’ second half onslaught continued just moments after the restart as Josh Gillies went close, but his 55th minute effort struck the foot of the post.

The Minstermen refused to be beaten, however, as they piled the pressure on, forcing some good defending from Shields, notably from Craig Baxter who took the full brunt of a volley from close range.

Shields thought they had added a fourth in the 80th minute as Will Jenkins’ lovely through ball was latched onto by Will McCamley, who calmly slotted past the onrushing keeper, but the winger was adjudged to be offside.

McLaughlin came close to reducing the deficit for City five minutes from time, as he forced substitute keeper Myles Boney to tip his long range effort over the bar.

South Shields: Coombe (Boney 46), Hunter, Baxter, Ross (Turnbull 72), Wade (Jenkins 46), Agnew, Gillies (Verstraaten 72), Briggs (c), Gilchrist (Osei 72), Lowe (Mason 72), Kempster (McCamley 64). Subs not used: Lockey, Thompson, Hodgson.

Goals: Briggs (pen 36), Lowe (49), Gilchrist (50).

York City: James, Kennedy, Tinkler, Newton, Spratt, Barrow, McLaughlin, Trialist, Bunn, Redshaw, Cassidy. Subs: Whitley, King, Jebson-King, Whitfield, Harrison, Dyson, Guilfoyle, Trialist, Trialist.

Attendance: 600.

IMAGE: Kev Wilson.