South Shields opened their 2013-14 season underway against Northallerton Town at Eden Lane on Saturday with a 2-2 draw.

The game got off to the best possible start for the Mariners as they opened the scoring inside the first 2 minutes; Paul Kane played the ball into the path of Barrie Smith on the right flank and Smith raced into the box before firing the ball past Hudson in the Northallerton goal.

Shields maintained the pressure on the visitor’s defence and on 5 minutes could have extended their advantage, Chris Feasey floated a corner into the box where Adam Sharp rose above the defence to head the ball towards the bottom corner of the goal but he was denied a debut goal by a good save by Hudson.

Shields were looking much the brighter of the two sides but were unable to turn their possession into goals as a combination of poor finishing and some good work by Hudson in the Northallerton goal restricted the Mariners to a single goal advantage.

Paul Kane and Stephen Ramsey were proving to be a handful for the opposition defence and with 25 mins on the clock they combined to release Ramsey but his shot was well saved by Hudson.

With 35 minutes on the clock James Pickering combined with Paul Kane on he left flank to release Barrie Smith, Smith turned past his marker before playing the ball to Chris Feasey but he was denied by a good save by Hudson.

Shields continued to look for a second goal as the half entered the closing minutes, Stephen Ramsey won the ball in the centre of the park before playing the ball wide for Chris Feasey and he in turn found Paul Kane in space but the striker headed the ball over the bar from close range.

With Shields pushing forward Northallerton went close to restoring parity in added time as both Caygill and Holliday both spurned chances.

As they had in the first half Shields started the second half on the front foot and within 30 seconds of the restart Paul Kane capitalised on some poor defending to rifle Shields into a two goal lead.

Within a minute Chris Feasey broke forward and played the ball into the path of Kane but the Shields striker fired wide of the post.

Northallerton began to gain a foothold in the game and on 50 minutes only a superb point blank save by Jak Wells prevented Caygill from reducing the arrears.

From the clearance by Wells Stephen Ramsey collected the ball to release Chris Feasey but he was unable to trouble the Northallerton keeper.

With the second half 10 minutes old Caygill collected the ball inside the 6 yard box and fired the ball past Wells.

Shields almost restored their 2 goal cushion a minute later, Adam Sharp won the ball in a central position and fired a shot at goal from 225 yards but he was denied by a good save from Hudson.

Again Northallerton pressed forward and McLachlan capitalised on some poor defensive play to restore parity on the hour.

Shields made their first change of the game with Barry Marshall replacing the injured Wayne Clarke; Marshall was quickly into the action as a long throw by Colin White found him in space 10 yards from goal but his shot flew high over the bar.

Northallerton began to run at the Shields defence with former Mariner Jason Brazauskas tormenting the Shields defence but they were unable to convert any of the chances he created.

Despite creating a series of clear opportunities in the closing stages of the game neither side was able to convert and the game ended all square at 2-2.

South Shields

Jak Wells, Chris Locke, Wayne Clarke (Barry Marshall 59 min), Colin White, Barrie Smith, Chris Feasey (Sean Sweeney 81 min), Adam Sharp, Stephen Ramsey (Cameron Foster 87 min), Paul Kane, James Pickering.

Unused subs Tom Courtney, Shaun Edwards

Shields are next in action at Eden Lane on Tuesday evening when they entertain Esh Winning