South Shields 2-1 Colne

South Shields 2-1 Colne

Shields started the game on the front and in the opening minutes of the game Adam Sharp collected the ball on the right flank, he played the ball into the path of Tito Davidson and he in turn found Stephen Ramsey in space but the Shields striker fired his shot just wide of the post.

Colne responded instantly as Jason Hart, their goalscoring hero from Saturday, fired a shot at goal from the angle of the box that struck the base of the post before being cleared by the Shields defence.

With the game approaching the tenth minute Colin White collected a clearance by the Colne defence just inside the opposition half and he fired a 40 yard shot at goal that rifled past everyone to give Chris Thompson in the Colne goal no chance and give the Mariners an early lead.

The goal spurred Shields forward and they began to dominate the game as the midfield controlled the play through Davidson, Sharp, Smith, Feasey and Danquah.

As the 20th minute approached Adam Sharp and Barrie Smith combined to release Chris Feasey on the left flank; Feasey turned past his man before firing a shot at goal that was comfortably saved by Thompson in the Colne goal.

Shields maintained the pressure on the Colne defence, Adam Sharp won the ball in the centre of the park before releasing Tito Davidson but the Shields midfielder fired his shot just wide of the post.

On the half hour Colne created a good chance to equalise when Jason Hart broke clear and released Ashley Carter but his shot skimmed over the bar.

In a half with very little in the way of stoppages and neither physio called into action it was surprising to see the game enter the third minute of added time; Shields were awarded a free kick 25 yards from goal that was taken by Chris Feasey but his shot curled just wide of the post.

A second free kick a minute later was again taken by Feasey with a similar result.

With 6 mins of added time on the clock Paul Kane collected the ball wide on the right, he brushed aside two challenges before firing a shot at goal from the angle of the box but he was denied by a superb diving save by Thompson.

The resulting corner was taken by Chris Feasey and he found Paul Kane in space, Kane fired a shot at goal that flew in at the front post to take Shields into the half time break 2 goals to the good.

Shields started the second half on the front foot and 5 mins into the half Stephen Ramsey played the ball to Barrie Smith but his shot flew wide of the post.

Within a minute Shields were on the attack again, Paul Kane collected the ball on the right before firing the ball across the park to Chris Feasey; Feasey controlled the ball before turning past his marker but his shot flew just wide of the post.

With the game approaching the hour mark the Shields side began to tire and manager Jon King made his first change of the game with Mark Brown replacing Barrie Smith, closely followed by Sean Sweeney replacing Stephen Ramsey and then Luke Olabode replacing Tito Davidson; the changes appeared to disrupt the Shields side and gave Colne a boost as they started to enjoy a period of pressure.

With 75 mins on the clock Scott Moore came close to reducing the arrears as his glancing header shaved the outside of the post

A minute later and the ball again struck the Shields woodwork, Ben Hoskins went on a long run unchallenged by the Shields defence before firing a shot that grazed the outside of the post.

Colne were pushing hard as they looked to get on the score sheet, in the closing minutes of the half both Carl Ellerton and Ed O’Neill saw attempts on goal cleared by the Shields defence.

As in the first half the second half also entered the 6th minute of added time and Colne took advantage as Kristian Evanss rose above the Shields defence to head a Thompson free kick past Jak Wells in the Shields goal.

To the dismay of the Shields crowd the referee still had a minute to play and only a superb diving save prevented Richard Johnson from taking the game into added time and Shields progressed into the next round of the FA Cup with Budweiser.

Unfortunately the misery was not over for the visitors as their coach suffered a flat tyre on the return journey and they had to wait over an hour for a replacement coach.

Philip Reay
South Shields FC