South Shields 2-0 Marske: Mariners into FA Vase third round

South Shields 2-0 Marske: Mariners into FA Vase third round

South Shields eased into the third round of the Buildbase FA Vase with a comfortable 2-0 win over Marske United at Mariners Park on Saturday.

After goals from Carl Finnigan and David Foley had put the Mariners in front within the first 20 minutes, they never looked likely to allow their visitors back into the game.

It was an impressive response by the home side to the derby defeat to North Shields seven days earlier, and a welcome win over a Marske team which had beaten them already this season in the FA Cup, and also claimed a 0-0 draw in the league.

The Mariners will find out their third round opponents when the draw is made on Monday lunchtime.

Marske started Saturday’s match brightly, and tested Liam Connell within the first 40 seconds when he did well to hold an effort from distance from Glen Butterworth.

However, rather than being the start of something, that was as good as it got for the visitors.

Andrew Stephenson fired them a warning when he hit an effort wide from 25 yards, before the Mariners took the lead in the 15th minute.

Julio Arca’s dangerous corner from the right was headed down by Finnigan and then nodded against the crossbar by Marske’s Lee Brockbank before being scrambled away, but the officials ruled the ball had already crossed the line.

It was soon 2-0 as Danny Carson linked up well with brother David on the left before driving inside and hitting a shot which was blocked into the path of Foley, who was ruthless as he half volleyed the ball into the bottom corner.

Shields went incredibly close to making it three when Foley burst forward from the inside-left of the box towards goal before crossing, and when Finnigan’s header was off target, Foley retrieved it by diverting the ball back across goal.

This time, it fell the way of Robert Briggs, and his snap-shot was excellently cleared off the line by Adam Wheatley as the visitors survived the scramble.

Foley was causing no end of problems for Marske, and he was inches away from scoring his second of the afternoon when Finnigan played him in on the inside-left of the box, and he cut inside before rattling a shot against the post.

Shields kept the ball alive and eventually it was worked to Foley again, this time on the inside-right of the area, and he pulled it across goal for David Carson, who could only shoot over.

The one-way traffic continued in the second half, with Foley and Finnigan linking up well up-front, and a good give and go between the pair led to a Foley effort which Marske goalkeeper Robert Dean did well to keep out.

Dean was in excellent form, and helped ensure Shields did not score in the final 45 minutes.

Eleven minutes into the second half, Dillon Morse brought the ball out of defence and beat the visitors’ back-line with a tremendous through ball for Finnigan, who found Foley via a touch from Craig Baxter, and his shot was superbly saved one-handed by Dean.

Finnigan and Baxter were also denied, before Dean made a terrific save with his foot to keep out a shot from Briggs after a pass across the box had beaten the defence.

Foley looked likely to add to the scoring with nine minutes left when he was played in on goal, but this time Dean narrowed the angle and parried his shot, before the follow-up header from Finnigan was cleared off the line by substitute Matthew Bell.

The only real doubt throughout the second half had been what the Mariners’ margin of victory would be, but they had to settle for 2-0 in the end as they booked their place in round three.

Blyth Town are the visitors to Mariners Park on Tuesday for a League Cup second round tie.

SOUTH SHIELDS: Connell, Baxter, Danny Carson, Shaw (Riding 63), Morse, Arca (c), Briggs (Smith 85), Stephenson (Phillips 80), Finnigan, David Carson, Foley. Subs not used: Parkin, Ramsey.

Goals: Finnigan (15), Foley (20).

Attendance: 1,116.

WORDS: Daniel Prince. IMAGE: Peter Talbot.