South Shields 0-2 Heaton Stannington

South Shields 0-2 Heaton Stannington
South_Shields_FC1 vs heaton

South Shields’ six-game unbeaten run came to an end with a 2-0 defeat by league leaders Heaton Stannington.

Shields started the game on the front foot and on the 5 minute mark Chris Locke attacked down the right flank before playing the ball into the path of Chris Feasey; Feasey cut in towards goal but his cross/shot floated wide of the post.

The game became entrenched in the middle of the park as neither side was able to find a way of unlocking the opposition defence.

As the game approached the 20 mark Shields thought they had taken the lead; a long throw by Colin White was turned into the net by Barrie Smith but the celebrations were cut short as the referee spotted an infringement.

Shields began to enjoy a period of pressure, Barrie Smith and Adam Burnicle combined to release Chris Feasey; Feasey raced towards goal but a last ditch challenge by Telford on the edge of the box cleared the danger.

On the half hour Heaton Stannington were awarded a free kick 25 yards but Johnson fired the ball over the bar.

A minute later Heaton went close again, Deagle fired the ball into the box where Leach rose above the Shields defence to head the ball towards goal only to be denied by a clearance from Barrie Smith.

Heaton maintained the pressure on the Shields defence and again it was Deagle providing the ammunition as he floated a cross into the box but Dodsworth headed wide from close range.

Shields themselves went close as a Colin White long throw was headed towards his own goal by Wear but a finger tip  save by Backhouse spared his captain’s blushes.

Shields continued to press forward and a corner by Chris Feasey on 35 mins was headed towards goal by Adam Sharp but a goal line clearance by Deagle kept the scores level.

In added time at the end of the first half Barrie Smith collected the ball on the edge of the box but his shot flew over the bar and the sides went into the break tied at 0-0.

The visitors started the second half the quicker of the sides and within 4 mins of the restart they went a goal up; following a goal mouth scramble Paul Blakey fired in from close range.

From the restart Shields pressed forward, Chris Feasey fired a free kick into the box and Colin White headed wide from close range.

On the hour Luke Olabode and Adam Burnicle combined on the left flank and Olabode raced away from the Heaton defence before crossing for Adam Sharp but his shot flew wide of the post.

On 65 mins a South Shields appeal for a penalty was waved away by the referee.

Shields were enjoying a period of pressure and on 75 mins Adam Burnicle collected the ball on the right flank before cutting in towards goal but his shot was well saved by Backhouse in the Heaton goal.

With Shields pressing forward looking to restore parity they were hit by a sucker punch 2 minutes into added time as Lee Johnson fired in from close range.