Seaham Red Star 2-4 South Shields

Seaham Red Star 2-4 South Shields

South Shields turned in another eye-catching performance as they saw off Northern League Division One rivals Seaham Red Star 4-2 in their latest pre-season friendly.

The Mariners have now scored 10 goals in their last two games as they home in on the new season.

Four different goalscorers were on the scoresheet for Shields at Seaham Town Park in a game they always seemed in control of.

They picked up where they left off in Monday’s 6-0 rout at Hebburn Town, and almost took the lead within two minutes, with a Craig Baxter cross finding its way to David Foley at the back post, but his effort was saved.

Foley drove an effort not far over before Shields took the lead with nine minutes on the clock when their trialist forward controlled the ball, turned and hit a low shot into the bottom corner.

The Mariners switched off momentarily after going ahead, and almost surrendered the lead when they gifted Seaham possession in a dangerous area, but Lee Hetherington was denied by an impressive save.

Foley was a thorn in Red Star’s side throughout his time on the pitch, and he was kept off the scoresheet on 13 minutes by another save from home goalkeeper Shaun Newbrook.

He came even closer moments later when his audacious chip from the right beat Newbrook, clipped the bar and bounced down near the goal-line. Jon Shaw accepted the rebound and stroked it home, but the offside flag went up.

Shields did not have to wait too much longer for goal number two, and it arrived when the ball was played back to Shaw inside the box, and he showed great composure before smashing it home.

Paul Gardiner fired a warning to the Mariners that Seaham remained dangerous as he arrowed a shot over, while Shields went close to extending their lead when Shaw had an effort saved.

The hosts pulled a goal back when Gardiner drove forward again, and this time rifled a shot into the roof of the net.

For a short time, the Mariners did look troubled, and they were fortunate to avoid conceding an equaliser when Liam McBryde flashed a header wide.

However, they soon regained control, and the two-goal lead was restored following another impressive move, which was finished when Foley unselfishly pulled the ball across goal for David Palmer to net against his former club.

At half-time, Shields made six substitutions, and it took some time for the match to settle back into a rhythm.

They clicked back into gear, though, with some superb possession football, and a fourth goal arrived when Julio Arca threaded a pass through the middle for Foley, who beat two defenders before dinking the ball over Newbrook.

Seaham were denied a second goal soon after, with Nicky Kane denied by an impressive stop, while at the other end, a superb double save by Newbrook kept out shots from Stephen Ramsey and Foley.

A superb free-kick by Hetherington from 20 yards handed the home side another goal, but by then the outcome of the match had already been all but decided.

There was no route back into the game for Red Star as Shields closed out a 4-2 victory.

They have just two more friendlies remaining this summer, with the first of those at Crook Town on Tuesday.

SOUTH SHIELDS: Trialist, Baxter (Carson 73), Turner (Scroggins 78), Carson (Riding 46), Storey (Morse 46), Briggs (Wade 46), Palmer, Scroggins (c) (Arca 46), Shaw (Ramsey 46), Trialist (Trialist 46), Foley (Briggs 78).

Goals: Trialist (9), Shaw (24), Palmer (43), Foley (63).