Scarborough Athletic 0-0 South Shields: No goals on sweltering day

Scarborough Athletic 0-0 South Shields: No goals on sweltering day

South Shields moved up to fourth in the Northern Premier League Premier Division table after a goalless draw on a sweltering afternoon in Scarborough.

Chances were hard to come by at both ends of the pitch in temperatures approaching 30C at Flamingo Land Stadium.

Shields remained without a number of key players, although Blair Adams was able to return from injury as he replaced Kieran Charlton at left-back.

They started brightly and won two early corners, with captain Robert Briggs flicking the ball wide from one of them.

Many of the home supporters thought Scarborough had taken the lead in the 12th minute as a shot took a huge deflection before bouncing just past Myles Boney’s post.

The Mariners almost took the lead immediately after that at the other end as Millenic Alli played the ball inside for Nathan Lowe and his left foot effort was pushed just wide by Seadogs goalkeeper Tommy Taylor.

Most shots at goal at both ends of the pitch were from distance, and the latest came from Scarborough’s Ryan Watson, whose powerful shot from the edge of the area was superbly blocked by Gary Brown.

Dillon Morse blocked a similar effort from Chris Dawson later in the first half, with Shields’ sole further chance before half-time coming as Josh Gillies got in behind on the right of the box and slid in a teasing low cross which just evaded team-mate Lee Connelly.

The second half started at a fast pace and Gillies scampered down the right soon after the restart before delivering a ball towards Connelly, who was just beaten to it by a defender.

A more presentable opportunity came Scarborough’s way soon after as Kian Spence was found in space on the edge of the area, but his placed shot was deflected wide.

The hosts had another good chance minutes later when they outnumbered Shields on the right of the box, but substitute Wayne Brooksby’s effort was straight at Boney.

The game entered something of a lull as the second half progressed, and it was not until the closing stages that chances presented themselves.

Substitute Lee Mason looked set to run through on goal from the left flank two minutes into stoppage time before being scythed down by Harry Coates, who was booked.

The Mariners almost found the breakthrough with next to the last kick of the game as Callum Guy and Gillies combined before both saw shots parried by Taylor as Scarborough stood firm.

Shields will look to return to winning ways on Saturday when they take on Bamber Bridge at Mariners Park.

SOUTH SHIELDS: Boney, Hunter, Adams, Turnbull, Morse, Brown, Gillies, Briggs (c) (Guy 87), Connelly (Mason 54), Lowe, Alli (Baxter 69). Subs not used: Connell, Charlton.

Attendance: 1,311.

WORDS: Daniel Prince. IMAGE: Kev Wilson.