Ryhope CW 1-1 South Shields

By Daniel Prince

Ten-man South Shields produced a spirited and superb display as they scored a stoppage-time equaliser to draw 1-1 at Ryhope CW on Tuesday.

Shields had to play for over 80 minutes with 10 men after goalkeeper Brett Wilson was sent off, and defender Colin White was forced to go in goal.

They battled throughout, though, and despite falling behind early in the second half, substitute James Talbot popped up in the 93rd minute to ensure the Mariners picked up their first point of the Ebac Northern League Division Two season.

SEEING RED ... Brett Wilson

SEEING RED … Brett Wilson

Wilson was sent off on 10 minutes after handling the ball outside the area, and it looked set to be an uphill battle for Shields from there.

However, the sending off appeared to galvanise the Mariners, who had also looked the more dangerous team when it was 11 vs 11.

Andy Appleby saw a goal ruled out for offside for the hosts, but other than that, it was Shields who produced the best moments in the first half.

A Barrie Smith cross-shot from the left went just wide, while Andy Renton and David Molloy both saw efforts well saved by home goalkeeper Christopher Rookes.

Stephen Ramsey saw a shot cleared for a corner on the quarter-hour mark, while Lee Maitland’s header was palmed away by Rookes from the resulting corner.

Graham Stephenson came agonisingly close to putting the Mariners 1-0 up on 26 minutes, but his shot across goal from the right was tipped wide.

White had to stay on his toes at the other end, though, and when the ball fell for Appleby in the box on the half-hour mark, he looked certain to score.

However, his powerful shot was brilliantly tipped over the bar by White, who showed that to call him a mere stand-in goalkeeper would be something of an insult.

The sides went in level at half-time, and that was the least Shields deserved.

Ryhope started strongly after the restart, though, and took the lead within four minutes of it.

Matthew Jay Weirs floated in a free-kick from the right, and Stephen Oakley glanced it on with his head to find the far corner.

Shields had to battle to get back into the game again, with Ryhope enjoying their best spell of the match after the goal.

Weirs went close after his shot from the left was deflected wide, while Appleby smashed an effort into the side netting.

The Mariners fought, though, and some impressive passages of play on the right helped to spark them back into life.

They almost equalised on 64 minutes, with Renton’s cross from the left nearly falling perfectly for Maitland, who slid in and hit the post with his shot.

A Chris Feasey cross from the left looped just over, while Smith – who was industrious throughout – went on a superb run down the right before firing over.

Ryhope were not producing too many chances of their own, but time looked to be running out for Shields to get a deserved equaliser.

A huge appeal for handball in the penalty area one minute into stoppage time was waved away, and it appeared the Mariners would be beaten.

However, they continued to fight, with substitutes Talbot, Paul Robinson and Kyle Houshby helping to drive them on.

Two of them were involved in the goal which saw Shields claim their point.

Houshby’s low cross from the right went perfectly to Stephen Ramsey, who laid it back to the impressive Talbot.

ryhope 1-1 south shieldsHe calmly slotted the ball into the opposite corner to spark scenes of joy and provide the Mariners with a terrific moment as they claimed their first point of the season.

They will now go in search for their first win of the campaign, and host Brandon United at Peterlee on Saturday. Kick-off is at 3pm.

RYHOPE CW: Rookes, Metcalfe, Cook, Hughes, Evans (c), Oakley, M Charlton (J Pounder 53), O’Neill (Trewick 68), Appleby, D Pounder (C Charlton 76), Weirs. Subs not used: Bussey.

Goal: Oakley (49).

SOUTH SHIELDS: Wilson, Locke, Feasey, Burn, White, Maitland, Stephenson (Houshby 83), Molloy (Talbot 57), Ramsey, Smith (c), Renton (Robinson 69). Subs not used: Conroy, Salim.

Goal: Talbot (90+3).

Booked: Locke, Ramsey.

Sent off: Wilson (10).

Referee: G McMullan.