Match Report

Latest Result

Hyde United 4 VS 1 South Shields

Tue 16 October 2018 - 19:45

South Shields suffered a fourth consecutive defeat on the road as they were beaten 4-1 at Hyde United.

The Mariners slipped to eighth in the Evo-Stik Premier Division after a night to forget at Ewen Fields.

The one-sided scoreline was harsh on the Mariners after they were on top for large periods, particularly in the second half.

They ultimately paid for their mistakes at despite captain Robert Briggs converting a penalty shortly after half-time.

Shields were without the likes of Jon Shaw, Gavin Cogdon, Phil Turnbull and Lee Mason, but started on the front foot.

Carl Finnigan and Ben Harmison had early opportunities, but were unable to test home goalkeeper Peter Crook.

Gary Brown did force a save out of Crook with a close-range effort before the hosts imposed themselves more on proceedings.

Tom Pratt hit a shot not far wide from 12 yards and John McCombe headed against the bar after a free-kick from the right.

The Mariners almost went ahead midway through the first half when Briggs teased in a cross from the left which took a deflection before bouncing past the post.

The key moment came in the 25th minute when Briggs was penalised for a foul just inside the penalty area on the right.

Shields goalkeeper Liam Connell got a hand to Pratt's spot-kick but was unable to keep it out as Hyde got their noses in front.

The Tigers doubled their lead three minutes before half-time as Connor Simpson got to a ball down the left channel, took it round Connell and produced a composed finish from a tight angle.

Shields had one chance to pull a goal back before the break when Josh Gillies' corner found Finnigan, but Crook kept his effort out.

The Mariners started the second half brightly and got their reward when they were given a penalty for handball in the 48th minute.

Briggs' spot-kick hit both posts before crossing the line and Shields suddenly had some momentum.

They were unable to create any real further chances until the 73rd minute, when Finnigan's shot was deflected just over.

The resulting corner from Gillies fell to Finnigan, but he hit the ball into the ground and Hyde cleared well.

Dillon Morse almost scored an own goal as his header went just past Shields' post, but from the resulting corner, Hyde restored their two-goal advantage with 12 minutes left as McCombe rose highest to head home.

Substitute Nicky Platt proved to be a thorn in Shields' side and he hit a stunning effort narrowly over from 40 yards in the closing stages.

Finnigan was sent off in the 90th minute for his second booking, and soon after that Hyde went 4-1 up when Platt scored the goal he had been threatening with an impressive dink over Connell from the edge of the box.

SOUTH SHIELDS: Connell, Baxter, Adams, Mouanda, Morse, Brown, Gillies, Briggs (c), Harmison, Finnigan, Foley (Cowburn 82). Subs not used: Lister, Hunter, Ross, Wright.

Goal: Briggs (pen 49).

Red card: Finnigan (90).

Attendance: 371.

WORDS: Daniel Prince. IMAGE: Kev Wilson.