Match report: South Shields 2-3 Marske United

Match report: South Shields 2-3 Marske United

South Shields were beaten by the odd goal in five in an entertaining pre-season encounter with Marske United at 1st Cloud Arena.

Shields twice went behind inside the opening 15 minutes, with Marske’s goals sandwiched by a beauty from Nathan Lowe which had momentarily brought the hosts level.

Lowe was also central to the Mariners’ second equaliser 20 minutes from the end as his terrific cross was turned in by Massanka after a period of pressure.

Although they pushed for a winner, Shields were ultimately undone at the other end in the closing stages as substitute McKenzie Diciccio slotted home with three minutes remaining to secure his team a 3-2 victory.

The home side started the game brightly and twice almost took the lead, with a Jon Shaw cross sliced over the bar by a Marske defender and the resulting corner from Nathan Lowe headed down by Dillon Morse to Massanka, whose powerful effort on the turn was blocked.

The Seasiders countered quickly and created an overload on the left of Shields’ penalty area, where Curtis Round was on hand to slide home and open the scoring.

The goal provided Marske with a spring in their step and a number of forays down the right flank offered an indication of their ability.

Shields gradually found their feet again and a fine move down the left involving Blair Adams and Massanka led to a drive from 20 yards by Conor Tee which was deflected wide.

Within a minute of that, the home side were back on level terms. Lowe received the ball on the edge of the area, took a touch and then curled majestically into the corner of the net.

The crowd of 869 was being provided with plenty of early entertainment, although most of the supporters inside 1st Cloud Arena would have been disappointed by the next development as Marske immediately went back in front. Connor Smith’s cross from the right sailed onto the head of Matty Tymon and he powerfully headed past Myles Boney in the Shields goal.

Both sides looked capable of scoring from almost every attack and the next to go close was Darius Osei as he received the ball from Jordan Hunter and sent a shot just wide of Ryan Catterick’s post.

Massanka also had an opportunity to notch a second equaliser for the Mariners as he got on the end of a move following some patient build-up play, but his powerful volley flew wide.

Marske were the width of a post away from establishing a two-goal advantage in the 33rd minute as Smith provided another peach of a cross, this time onto the head of Adam Boyes. Shields breathed a sight of relief when his effort struck the woodwork before being hacked clear.

The second half started slowly as the sides battled for supremacy but the Mariners had a good spell around the hour mark, with first Lowe forcing Catterick into a low save before the goalkeeper beat Massanka to a loose ball in the area by the finest of margins to preserve his team’s lead.

Adams was at the heart of the next move as he was found by Massanka before fizzing a pass across the box which just evaded a touch.

The noise from the terraces was increasing with each Shields attack and the crowd was able to cheer an equalising goal on 70 minutes. Lowe fired in a peach of a cross from the right and Massanka showed superb desire to force his way in front of his defender and strike home.

The Mariners almost completed a quickfire turnaround when they reclaimed the ball quickly from the restart and Lowe’s drive from 20 yards was pushed wide by Catterick.

Lowe had the bit between his teeth and went close to providing another goal with a free-kick from deep on the right which was headed narrowly wide by Dillon Morse, via the slightest of touches by a defender.

The majority of possession and territory was with Shields for the remainder of the game but they were ultimately unable to unlock Marske for a third time.

In the end it was the Seasiders who scored the crucial fifth goal as a low ball across the area from the right was converted by Diciccio in the 87th minute.

Shields did have opportunities for a third equaliser, with Massanka firing an effort not far wide via a deflection and a Lowe cross from the left just evading a touch, but Marske held out for the victory.

The Mariners will complete their preparations for the season with a home match against National League North side Gateshead next Saturday.

South Shields: Boney, Hunter (Briggs 80), Adams, Shaw (Morse 46), Morse (Trialist 24), Ross, Osei, Briggs (c) (Shaw 68), Massanka, Lowe, Tee. Subs not used: Steavens, Agnew, Lukeman, McGeorge, Rossiter, Hodgson, Trialist.

Goals: Lowe (13), Massanka (70).

Attendance: 869.

Image: Kev Wilson.