Match Report: Lancaster City 1-0 South Shields

Match Report: Lancaster City 1-0 South Shields

South Shields’ promotion hopes suffered a setback as they were beaten 1-0 by Lancaster City on Tuesday.

A 20th minute strike from Charlie Bailey undid the Mariners, who had started the game brightly as they aimed to cut the gap at the top of the Pitching In Northern Premier League to a point.

After taking the lead, a resolute Lancaster side grew in confidence and held the visitors at bay as Shields’ run of four consecutive away fixtures ended in frustrating fashion.

There had been positive signs for Shields in the early stages as they established control of possession and probed for an opening.

Cedric Main was particularly prominent and he almost created an opening when he tricked his way through down the right before flashing a ball across the face of goal which evaded a touch.

Lancaster gradually gained a foothold and went close to scoring themselves as Sam Bailey’s 20 yard strike took a deflection before being tipped wide by Myles Boney.

The hosts did then take the lead as Charlie Bailey drifted inside from the left before rifling an effort into the bottom corner from the edge of the area with his right foot.

There were opportunities for Lancaster to extend their advantage, but Joseph Blanchard headed wide and Joseph Rodwell-Grant blasted over when well-placed.

The Mariners had an effort on target when JJ Hooper’s header was stopped by Curtis Anderson in the Lancaster goal, and there was another good chance after the break as Darius Osei fired just past the post from 20 yards.

That was as close as Shields got, though, with Lancaster’s solid performance enough to keep them out.

Kevin Phillips’ side will look to bounce back when they host Bamber Bridge in the league on Saturday.

South Shields: Boney, Hunter, Adams (c), Shaw, Morse, Bodenham, Rose (Briggs 69), McGowan (Lowe 69), Hooper, Main (Tee 69), Osei. Subs not used: Kempster, Hodgson.

Attendance: 257.

Image: Kev Wilson.