Consett 2-3 South Shields

By Daniel Prince

South Shields recorded an impressive 3-2 win at Northern League Division One side Consett on Saturday.

A superb individual goal from substitute James Talbot sealed the win for the Mariners late on after a solid performance.

Coming into the game on the back of last week’s 5-0 loss at Billingham Synthonia, it did not take long for Shields to show serious signs of improvement.

They had the better of the opening exchanges, and a well-worked corner routine almost put them in the lead on 10 minutes.

Chris Feasey laid the ball back from the corner to the onrushing David Halliday on the edge of the box, and his side-foot effort went just past the post.

Four minutes later, though, Shields did get the goal their early play had deserved.

A pull-back from the left went perfectly into the path of Dave Malloy, who placed a low shot past the goalkeeper and into the bottom left corner.

Within two minutes, the home side were level.

The impressive Luke Sullivan slotted in after a ball from the right, and it was then Consett who went into the ascendancy.

Sullivan continued to be a real threat, and after bursting through the centre, he played it beyond the goalkeeper before chipping the ball into the centre for Ryan King, who nodded it into the empty net.

Consett almost went 3-1 up just before half-time, but the Mariners did brilliantly to clear Sullivan’s effort off the line.

Early in the second half, Shields restored parity.

The lively Damien Stevens was brought down on the left-side of the penalty area, and he picked himself up to fire the ball into the bottom right corner from the spot.

Chances were limited beyond that, although both goalkeepers did well to keep the score at 2-2 with some impressive saves.

It was Shields who took the win in the closing minutes, though, when substitute Talbot scored a goal of real quality.

He picked the ball up on the left before dribbling past a number of players.

With the Consett goalkeeper advancing, Talbot then lofted the ball above and beyond him, into the opposite corner.

Consett did not have any real time to respond, and the Mariners saw out the game to take a confidence-boosting victory.

Shields will again be in action on Tuesday, when they travel to Ashington.