Boldon CA 1-3 South Shields

By Daniel Prince

South Shields retained the Sam Bartram Memorial Cup by coming from behind to beat Boldon CA 3-1 at the Villa.

Makeshift striker Colin White scored twice for the Mariners, while substitute Barry Marshall scored the other as Jon King’s side recovered from going in 1-0 behind at half-time.

AT THE DOUBLE ... Colin White

AT THE DOUBLE … Colin White

Anton Crann gave the home side the lead on 13 minutes when his free-kick deflected in off the post.

The first half was even, though, with both teams failing to create many clear-cut chances.

Barrie Smith sent a long-range effort over the bar for Shields, while goalkeeper Brett Wilson did well at the other end to keep out a 20-yard shot.

A short-corner routine almost reaped dividends for the Mariners just after the half-hour, but Chris Feasey’s cross was blocked by the goalkeeper.

Andy Renton should have levelled the scores six minutes before the break.

A ball over the top was flicked on by White perfectly into Renton’s path, but after trying to round the goalkeeper, he saw his shot saved.

That ensured the sides went at half-time level, but Renton immediately set about changing that after the restart.

He cut in from the left and unleashed a curling right-foot shot which came back off the bar, while White saw a low shot saved on 48 minutes.

It seemed just a matter of time before Shields equalised, and two minutes later, they did.

A superb run and cross from Chris Locke on the right was slid in by fellow substitute Marshall in the six-yard box.

On 57 minutes, the Mariners took the lead.

After White was fouled on the right near the corner flag, Barrie Smith’s free-kick was sent into the perfect area. The towering White nodded it in, and that was not to be his last activity in front of goal.

On the hour mark, Abu Salim’s cross found Marshall in the box, but he was off balance and skewed his shot wide.

It could have been 3-1 to Shields on 66 minutes after Marshall controlled a Locke cross, turned and then fired at goal, but the Boldon goalkeeper did well to palm it over.

Two minutes later, though, the game-clinching goal was scored by White.

A terrific through ball sent him in on goal on the right of the box, and he slotted it into the opposite corner.

Boldon saw two shots from range go just over, while Salim could have made it four for Shields, but failed to round the goalkeeper. The ball was then played back to Smith, and his shot went well wide.

The Mariners had done enough to clinch the cup, though, as they completed their pre-season preparations in good style.

They kick-off the new Ebac Northern League Division Two season at Willington, on August 9.

South Shields team: Wilson, Stephenson (Locke 38), Feasey, Burn, Halliday (Stephenson 75), Houshby (Marshall 38), Renton (Salim 52), Smith (c), Maitland (Black 52), Molloy, White (Houshby 73).